Glosdraug's Building Rules, Tips & Writing Techniques
- All new area concepts must be submitted & approved by the Head Builder.
- Submit area ideas to the Head Builder.
- Areas should try to reflect medival/fantasy theme; Will be flexible on this point if idea/concept is really
good & it meets council approval.
- Monthly Progress Reports From Each Builder Are To Be Submitted To the Head
Builder So He Can Submit An Overall Report To The Council
- These reports are MANDATORY for they will help determine how each individual staff member is performing, which in turn can lead to promotion/demotion & it also gives a sense on how the staff as a whole is doing & what changes, if any, need to be made.
- Reports look like this:
Rooms Built: vnums - to -
Objects Built: vnums - to -
Mobs Built: vnums - to -
MobProgs Built: vnums - to -
<short summary of progress and estimated finishing time>
- DO NOT TRY TO FALSIFY INFO IN A REPORT FOR THEY WILL BE CHECKED!
- All areas will be checked by the Head Builder before they are connected/open.
- Any questions on Building should be directed to the Head Builder either by e-mail, note, or directly.
- When you write a room, the player is already in the room. "SHOW, DO NOT TELL"! DO NOT use the pronoun
"YOU" in a room description.
- Do not tell a player what he is "feeling" when entering a room. Try something like "A presence
of evil fills this room...." or "A wave of fear seems to develop all who enter this dark place."
- Focus on what is IN the room, NOT what can been seen FROM the room. Think: What is in it? What is the lighting/coloring?
Furniture? Trees or Flowers and what kind? Any animal life? Weather? Structures?
- Use language effectively! Avoid plainess like "There is Ivy on the walls." This is nice, but boring.
"Ivy springs from cracks in the floor, smothering all other plant life." This is much better.
- Added descriptions. These add character to the game and make players work. If players are forced to solve a
puzzle to move on they will need these.
- Descriptions can be used to hide/convey clues/information....doors/exits...objects.
- These added descriptions are NOT mandatory, but they do provide character and flare to an area.
- A room description should average 4-8 lines in length. Please remember to format the room descriptions or any
descriptions for that matter.
- A mob description should be around 3 lines in length, but this is flexible, just try not to make them dull.
- Extended object descriptions are optional, but again, add flare.
- Exit descriptions are optional; Make use of the exit flags & have fun with them.
- These are not mandatory, but they are definately cool little gadgets.
Armor Ratings For Eq
Lvl. 1-9 = 2-3
Lvl. 10 = 4-5
Lvl. 15 = 5-6
Lvl. 20 = 6-7
Lvl. 25 = 7-8
Lvl. 30 = 10-11
Lvl. 35 = 11-12
Lvl. 40 = 12-13
Lvl. 45 = 13-14
Lvl. 50 = 14-15
Lvl. 55 = 15-16
Lvl. 60 = 16-17
Lvl. 65 = 18-19
Lvl. 70 = 19-20
Lvl. 71 = 22-25
Lvl. 75 = 25-28
Lvl. 80 = 28-31
Lvl. 85 = 31-34
Lvl. 90 = 35-40
As with weapons you may have a 5 level cushion when assigning values for armor. This means you can use either
a level 10 rating or a level 20 rating for a level 15 piece of armor. WARNING: DO NOT GO CRAZY WITH THIS.
I will double check everything.Do not overuse this cushion and don't use it for each type of rating (pierce, bash,
slice, exotic). Mix up the values. Exotic armor ratings should be very low, if any rating at all, for armor below
- Remember: BALANCE! BALANCE! BALANCE!
- USE THE HELP FILES!
- Heal/Mana Rates ARE NOT to exceed 300%
- FINISH WHAT YOU BEGIN!
- Work diligently.
- If stuck, ask for help.
- Some things are written in an older form of ROM so they require " " for them to work. Most
of the liquids are like this...."dragon blood"
- Don't create area for "lazy" players. Try and Keep things fair, but challenging.
- "Quest Items" must be submitted to the Head Builder (Verlag), who will then submit them to the
- Building can sometimes get boring, but that is the life of a builder. If you need to take a break, that is
fine, but remember there is a lot that needs done, so try to work as much as sanity will allow.
- HAVE FUN IN YOUR CREATIVITY & TAKE PRIDE IN YOUR WORK!
- Download & print builders.doc from web-site; It is helpful in a lot of ways.
- Remember we are a team! Help each other out when you can!
A few things/rules
- All mobs who can become aggresive, or summon/create other aggresive mobs -must- be no_summon
(more to come)